Hello Everyone on the NWC
Please see below a communications update.
List of actions (with current status) from Friday 22 April industry forums
Ulverstone straight training track
- SafeChase lure order now on hold.
- Tasracing has received confirmation from NWGRC and larger trainers of preference not to proceed. Tasracing will now re-consult with trainers for preferred lure at Ulverstone.
- Tasracing has asked the NWGRC for feedback in relation to preference for a drag lure (or otherwise).
Andrew Jenkins and Alison Jarman to re-approach Simon Want/Enrich re training lease
- Initial discussion with Simon Want scheduled for Thursday 28 April
- Andrew and Alison agreed key messages and Alison met with Simon as planned on 28 April
- A training lease for greyhounds was not ruled out by Simon. Alison and Andrew are continuing discussions and updates will be provided weekly.
Tasracing to consider whether there is merit in approaching politicians to lobby against the natural values restrictions (noting the recent residential development at Stony Rise)
- It’s not the view of Tasracing that political intervention would change the Natural Values Assessment advice. Vegetation on the site is protected by two State Acts and one Commonwealth Act
- Even to make a start we would be up against more Acts to try and achieve approval for ‘exceptional circumstances’. Racetracks won’t get approval on that basis
- The ECOTas report summary is now available via the link sent in a separate SMS or available for download here.
Tasracing to arrange for Racing Minister to make supportive public statement of commitment to NWC tracks
- Completed/Closed, 2x statement issued
- Minister visited NWC 27 April and confirmed commitment to NW tracks and $8M Govt funding.
Tasracing to conduct a survey on a range of issues including tracks and locations with NWC participants and stakeholders
- Survey is being drafted and will be circulated to the NW Tracks Project Committee for comment by 27 May, intention then to release in early June.
Tasracing to seek participant feedback and review travel subsidy policy in 4-6 weeks
- To be commenced mid-May.
NWC tracks update to be included in Andrew Jenkins’ fortnightly sms general update
- Commenced please refer below, will be ongoing.
TasRacing to contact Burnie and Carrick Clubs to ascertain what assistance may be available to conduct additional harness meetings at venues that are normally reliant on volunteers
- To be completed.
Tracks and training update
- As above, initial discussion with Simon Want completed. Subsequent updates to be provided, training lease not ruled out
- Good progress is being made on the prospective Mill Rd site and we also have 2, possibly 3, other sites being assessed in case Mill Rd does not proceed
- Harness – Tasracing and the Maxfields have both instructed our lawyers to proceed to execute the lease and we expect to have that completed this week. Once signed I will schedule onsite ‘induction’ sessions and provide registered keys