Over recent years, Tasracing has continually reviewed the structure of 2YO racing in response to the decreasing foal crop and the resultant fall in 2YO starters. Changes have included:
- Amending the start of the 2YO season to January.
- Programming one 2YO race each weekend for January and February.
- Amending the race funding policy to guarantee full stake money for five acceptors.
- Conducting $3,000 races for four acceptors.
- Reviewing the trialling procedure including the number of trials required to qualify to race and scheduling a qualifying trial at race meetings.
Despite these measures, the number of starters and races conducted has continued to decline. The number of races deleted and the number of $3,000 races has increased. The figures over the last four seasons are:
|Year||Races Scheduled||Races Conducted||$3,000 Races||Races Deleted||Total Starters|
Some participants have suggested that 2YO races should be conducted for the advertised stake money when two, three or four acceptors are received. Tasracing does not support this proposal.
After studying the trend over recent years, it is clear that changes need to be implemented to ensure that more 2YO races are conducted for the advertised stake money. A proposal to include 3YO and older non winners in 2YO races was presented for discussion at the Harness Industry Forum on 2 September 2016. Members endorsed the proposal and Tasracing has approved the following conditions to apply from 1 January 2017:
- 3YO and older non winners (C penalty races) with 20 or less field selection points are eligible to accept for standard 2YO races.
- When a standard 2YO race receives five or more 2YO acceptors, the 3YO and older non winners will be excluded from the race.
- When a standard 2YO race receives four or less 2YO acceptors, the 3YO and older non winners will be included and selected from the lowest points first until a maximum field of eight acceptors has been achieved.
- When 3YO and older non winners are included, trainers can withdraw 2YO’s penalty free prior to the fields being released.
- The barrier draw for a standard 2YO race that includes 3YO and older non winners will be PBD/2C/Age.
- The race distance will be as close to, but not less than, 1609 metres as the track configuration allows.
- 3YO and older non winners (C penalty races) cannot accept for 2YO feature races.
Please contact Kevin Neilson if you have any questions relating to this matter.
03 6212 9316