The 2023/24 racing season will feature 72 thoroughbred meetings, 91 harness meetings and 159 greyhound meetings, Tasracing has confirmed.
Of the 72 thoroughbred meetings scheduled in Tasmania, there are seven meetings scheduled for King Island between December and January.
After the outstanding success of the three Friday night meetings at Launceston last season, the Tasmanian Turf Club will have an additional four Friday night meetings to host between October and April, taking the total for the season to seven.
The Friday night meeting on 27 October will once again coincide with the Cox Plate eve meeting at Moonee Valley, which has resulted in significant wagering figures for the Tasmanian industry over the past two seasons.
Twenty of the 25 meetings hosted by the Tasmanian Turf Club will be night meetings.
Hobart will see an increase from 21 to 24 race meetings throughout the season with the majority of these in the Sunday afternoon timeslot.
The Tasmanian Racing Club will again host the Tasmanian Derby/Hobart Cup meetings over the Regatta Day long weekend.
The Harness code will receive an additional Saturday night Sky1 meeting in 2023/24 to give them six for the season.
All of these meetings will carry feature races with the Inaugural running of the Tasracing Eureka Qualifying race ‘The Beautide’, the Australian Driver’s Championship, the Oaks and Derby, Devonport Cup, Tasmanian Cup and Easter Cup showcasing the best horses and drivers.
With the closure of the Devonport Showgrounds the majority of the Harness meetings remain in the North and North-West of the state with Launceston hosting nine, Burnie three and Hobart one of these meetings.
The transferred North West greyhound meetings will see Launceston host 31 and Hobart host 21 of these meetings.
The highlights of the schedule include:
- • Seven Friday night Sky1 thoroughbred meetings.
- • Twenty thoroughbred night meetings.
- • Tasmanian Derby run on Friday 9 February, Hobart Cup run on 11 February and Launceston Cup run on 28 February.
- • Six Saturday night Sky1 harness meetings (The Beautide on 5 August, the ADC on 21 October, the Oaks and Derby on 4 November, Devonport Cup on 13 January, the Group 1 Tasmania Cup on 2 March and Easter Cup on 30 March).
- • Tasmania’s only Group 1 greyhound race, the Hobart Thousand Final, will be run on 14 December.
- • The Chase Final to be run on Thursday 11 January.
- • The Launceston Cup for greyhounds will be run on Monday night 29 January.
- • Good Friday racing in all three codes (thoroughbreds in Launceston, dual harness and greyhounds in Hobart).