Due to the current situation re: COVID-19 the following will be implemented to commence Sunday 29 March 2020.
Trials will be conducted on race days only to commence 1 hour prior to the scheduled starting time of race 1 of the race meeting.
- Only horses that are qualifying to race for the first time as well as horses stood down pending a satisfactory trial are eligible to compete in the trials.
- Minimum qualifying time standard to be introduced with all trials conducted over the short course i.e. Hobart 1609 metres Launceston 1680 metres :
- 2yo’s 2:08 Mile rate
- 3yo’s and older 2:06 mile rate
*A time allowance due to adverse weather and/or track conditions may be made at the discretion of the officiating Steward
- Horses qualifying to race in mobile barrier races for the first time need only complete one satisfactory mobile barrier trial. In order to qualify to race in standing start races a horse need only complete a satisfactory standing start trial. In order for a trial to be deemed satisfactory the current policy still applies regarding starting behaviour and tractability.
- Trials programs will no longer be split into National Ratings classes. Trials fields will be selected from the nominations received giving regard to the class of horses nominated. g. Effort will be made to group 2yo’s and other horses in to qualify with the lowest quality open age horses nominated.
- Trials nominations will close at 11AM on Thursday for Friday meetings and 11AM Friday for Sunday meetings.
- In order to conduct the minimum number of trials fields will have up to seven horses allowing all horses to be off the front row. The minimum number of runners required in qualifying races may be varied.
- Trials may be cancelled if running them jeopardises the conduct of the race meeting.
ODM and ODS Horses
From Sunday 29 March 2020 horses placed out of the draw will require only one satisfactory race start, rather than 2 which could have included a trial, in order to be placed back in the draw. This change of policy is to lessen the negative impact for connections now that these horses will no longer have access to use a satisfactory trial start.