A qualifying trial for unraced horses will be scheduled at Sunday race meetings at Hobart, Launceston and Devonport from 1 August 2016. The Tasracing initiative has been developed in consultation with the Office of Racing Integrity, clubs, light harness associations and BOTRA.
The initial proposal from Tasracing was to conduct trials between races if there were gaps of 35 minutes or more, similar to the procedure adopted at midweek meetings in Queensland and at Menangle in New South Wales. After considering feedback received, Tasracing has agreed to schedule one trial for unraced horses 35 minutes before the first race.
Conditions for the trial will be:
- A maximum of one mobile start qualifying trial may be scheduled at Sunday race meetings at Hobart, Launceston or Devonport.
- The maximum number of starters in the trial will range from six to seven depending on the front line mobile start limit at each track.
- The trial will be cancelled if race day stalls are not available (after racehorse allocations have been completed).
- The trial will be for unraced horses. Preference in field selection for the trial will be given to unqualified 2YO’s, followed by unqualified 3YO’s and, finally, unqualified C0 horses. If the front line limit has not been reached, unraced horses that have qualified to race will be the next selected with first preference to 2YO’s, then 3YO’s and, finally, C0 horses. Subject to these conditions, if a further ballot is required, a trainer with multiple nominations will be required to select which of their horses will compete in the trial.
- Unraced horses that trial at a Sunday race meeting will not be permitted to trial the day before (Saturday) or the day after (Monday).
- The trial will be scheduled 35 minutes before the first race.
- Horses must be on the track ten minutes before the start time for the trial.
- In the event of wet weather, the trial at a race meeting may be cancelled.
- Officials required for the trial are two track staff, mobile driver, starter, steward, ambulance or equivalent medical services, race caller, side on video camera, judge, timekeeper and two clerks of the course.
- Acceptances for the trial at Sunday race meetings will close at noon on Thursdays. No extensions will be applicable.
- A minimum of three acceptors are required for the trial to proceed.
- The trial fee will be $15 payable to the race club prior to trialing.