Three new members were inducted to the Tasmanian Greyhound Hall of Fame at a special ceremony dinner held alongside the Group 1 Ladbrokes Hobart Thousand Final box draw in Hobart on Saturday night.
Summer Idol (Les Gunton) and Black Caleb (Allan Clark) were the latest greyhounds to have their legacies added to an ongoing list of a selective class group of topline chasers to either be bred or raced in Tasmania.
A joint induction of well distinguished late participants Pearl and Brian Griggs was announced on the night.
All new Hall of Fame inductees’ stories will be added to the Tasmanian Greyhound Hall of Fame website.
Summer Idol (Greyhound)
Red Fawn dog, whelped in April 1968, by Zephyr’s Review out of Rose Noir
91 starts | 31 wins | 33 minor placings
Owned and trained by Les Gunton
- Won the 1969 Tasmanian Gold Cup Final at T.C.A.
- Won the 1971 Tasmanian Dist. Championship Final at T.C.A.
- Won the 1971 Winter Stakes Final at White City
- Finalist in the 1970 Tasmanian Gold Cup Final at T.C.A
- Finalist in the 1971 Launceston Cup Final at White City
- Finalist in the 1971 National Dist. Championship Final at T.C.A.
Black Caleb (Greyhound)
Black Dog, whelped in December 1998, by Malawi’s Prince out of Diamon Lillie
50 starts | 29 wins | 17 minor placings
Owned and trained by Allan Clark
- won the 2001 Group 1 Hobart Thousand Final at Hobart Showgrounds
- won the 2001 Group 3 Devonport Cup Final at Devonport Showgrounds
- won the 2001 Media Cup Final at Devonport Showgrounds
- won the 2001 Show Cup Final at Devonport Showgrounds
- Finalist in the 2001 Illingworth Classic Final at White City
- Finalist in the 2001 Easter Plate Final at Hobart Showgrounds
- Finalist in the 2000 Johnson Puppy Final at Devonport Showgrounds
- Finalist in the 2000 Gold Collar Final at White City
- Finalist in the 2000 Breeders Classic Final at Devonport Showgrounds
Brian & Pearl Griggs
- Respected owners, trainers and breeders in TAS for over 4 decades
- Pearl a strong advocate for women involvement in greyhound racing
- Trained notable classy chasers in Nippy Bug, Mad Century and Berry Cream
- Prepared 20-time winner Rockin’ Gold running in several features.
- Both trained equal share of greyhounds during their time as trainers.
- Brian Griggs passed away in May 1981 due battle with kidney disease.
- HGRC awarded Pearl life membership in 1993, passing away in 2006.