Race dates for Tasmania’s three codes of racing have been finalised for the 2018/19 racing season.
Highlights in the schedule include:
• 72 thoroughbred meetings (including seven King Island meetings in December and January.)
• 89 harness meetings (up by seven meetings last season).
• 162 greyhound meetings on Mondays, Tuesday and Thursdays.
• 21 thoroughbred night meetings (starts Wednesday 3 October and finishing Wednesday 24 April – previously ended in March).
• 47 Friday night harness meetings (24 last season) including two combined greyhound meetings on 26 December (DHRC and NWGRC) and 1 Feb (DHRC & NWGRC).
• Good Friday twilight thoroughbred meeting in Launceston.
• Good Friday night harness meeting in Hobart.
Tasracing CEO Vaughn Lynch said the race dates, which had been approved by Sky Channel, were finalised after consultation with racing clubs.
Mr Lynch said the 2019 Hobart Cup would be held on 10 February while the Launceston Cup would be held on 27 February.
“In harness, the Tasmanian Cup will be held on Saturday 16 March, moved from late December,” he said.
Mr Lynch said 47 Friday night harness meetings – a key night for harness racing – was a good outcome for the harness code in Tasmania.